© 2018 by Reyn Yoshioka. Proudly created with Wix.com

  • Grey Instagram Icon

FOLLOW ME:

CONTACT ME:

Tiggin' It

November 15, 2016

Today I started four new colonies of our adorable copepods, Tigriopus californicus. I had originally started a batch from the first stock we ordered, using about 15 mating pairs, and since then that culture's gone crazy.

 

We're gonna need more tigs, so I started four more cultures, which I'm calling Tig Hauses (I don't know how plural forms work in Deutsch, apologies). Each one is a plastic food storage container with 0.75 L of filtered seawater. I mixed in some commercial microalgae filter feeder food so the tigs have something to go off of.

 

 

I had a fun afternoon sorting and counting tigs to be added to the Hauses. I started off collecting mating pairs of tigs (the male uses his antennae to grasp onto the female when they mate). I added 25 pairs to each, which helped to keep my sex ratio at 50:50. Because these were from a colony started with just 30 tigs, I wasn't sure I was getting a great genetic diversity if I just used that. To help, I got five male and five female tigs from the original stock (these weren't mating). I generally wanted to keep the sex ratio 50:50, since the guarding/amplexus behavior would suggest that monogamy must be higher than chance (totally assuming). To round off my numbers to a nice 75, I lastly added non-mating males and females from my colony (eight female and seven male).

 

 

Tah dah! Wish me luck!  

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Please reload

ARCHIVE POSTS

Please reload

November 29, 2017

July 13, 2017

November 15, 2016

November 1, 2016

August 19, 2016

Please reload

RECENT POSTS